Thursday, March 26, 2009

Snow Day and Lentils

Hi all! Guess what... we have a SNOW DAY today!! It is 6am and there it is not even snowing, but we are under a blizzard warning with 8-15 inches expected (isn't that a large range?). Anyways, now that we were already awake to take Jen to the airport for her business trip, I thought I would post this yummy recipe. It was a big hit, even with some skeptical flesh eaters!

Sloppy Lentils
pg 104 Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

1 T olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 small red or green pepper, chopped
1 T chili powder
1.5 c dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
3 c water
2 T soy sauce
1 T prepared mustard
1 T light brown sugar
1 t salt
freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook onion and pepper in a fry pan in oil until softened. Add chili powder to coat.

2. Transfer onion mixture to a 3.5-4 qt slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

my changes: I added lots more veggies in the beginning (celery, lots of carrots), which added a little extra good flavor. I also added garlic in the beginning sauteing (just because I like garlic kind of a lot). I doubled the mustard because J likes mustard. Besides that, we had the sandwiches open-faced with melted cheddar cheese and fresh onion on top. Very yummy!

1 comment:

MOM said...

show us pictures of the snow!
See you soon!