1918-2009
My Grandpa was about 10 years old when this story occurred, when he lived in the Polish neighborhood of Saginaw.
Polish Parachute
Polish Parachute
"My Polish friend took an old bed sheet from his house. He wanted to make a parachute. We tied ropes on each corner of the sheet. We twisted the ropes at the ends up to about 3 feet. This helped to make a thicker rope to hang on.
We practiced jumping from a step ladder onto an old bed spring. The home-made parachute seemed to work pretty well. Then we got real brave. We put the ladder against the garage and decided to jump from the garage roof.
I arranged the bed sheet parachute on the roof. I jumped and the parachute opened beautifully. However, it did not help to prevent the hard fall onto the bed springs. My knee caps came up and hit my chin. I saw stars. The Polish friend was not dumb enough to try it. That was the end of our parachute jumping."
We practiced jumping from a step ladder onto an old bed spring. The home-made parachute seemed to work pretty well. Then we got real brave. We put the ladder against the garage and decided to jump from the garage roof.
I arranged the bed sheet parachute on the roof. I jumped and the parachute opened beautifully. However, it did not help to prevent the hard fall onto the bed springs. My knee caps came up and hit my chin. I saw stars. The Polish friend was not dumb enough to try it. That was the end of our parachute jumping."
No comments:
Post a Comment