Monday, September 21, 2009

Great News

Good news not related to the house --- we got our state test results from last year and my students did really well (this is Mary btw)! We actually got the individual student results back last week, but today we got to compare our results with the rest of the 6th grade math teachers. It was great to get a perspective on my results, since the first thing I did is focus on the kids that didn't grow as much as I would have liked. Today I was able to compare my results to other teachers.
Here is the breakdown - Colorado is now focusing on the percent of student growth, which is similar to the growth percents used for babies' and tolders' height and weight. So, typical growth is between 35-65%, with low growth 0-34% and exceptional growth being 66-100%. Overall, putting all my classes together, about 85% of my students made exceptional or typical growth, with 60% of my students making exceptional growth! Out of all subjects tested in the school, in all grades, I had the highest growth percentile median, at 77% (meaning half of my students had larger than 77% growth percentage). I had 12 students with growth of 90% and above, with two students score 99%!!! That means they scored higher than 99% of the students in Colorado who scored their same score in 5th grade. Such great news!!!! Now I can't wait to find them in the hallways and tell them the good news!

We will be sure to update about our loan and closing info as soon as we know.

4 comments:

Amy said...

That is a lot of math lingo, Mary. I can't quite follow it all at 11pm! But I can tell you're excited so it must be good news! Congrats!! ;)

Erica said...

Mary, you are a great math teacher, even if you can't do math in your head!! hahahahha

just teasing. good job! did Justin's students have scores too?

MOM said...

Mary I am very proud of you. You're the greatest!
Love, MOM

Unknown said...

thanks guys! J didn't have scores, he just has his kids draw cartoon characters all day hehe.